Sunday, October 5, 2008

One Sleepless Night in Bangkok

After the monstrous 14 hour flight to Tokyo, we arrived to find our connecting flight to Bangkok delayed. Six hours in the International Section of the Narita Airport, here we go:

1. There were 4,300 different duty free shops, 50% of which had the same name and seemed to be selling the same brand name things (cigarettes, alcohol, cosmetics).

2. In one hour I think I spent rougly $500 dollars on ice coffee trying to get myself on schedule for Thai time and avoid jetlag. I have had this problem before with currency that starts at like 100 something per dollar. All of a sudden I think it is 1,000 something per dollar and start thinking I am getting the greatest deal on the planet. Then I realize later I am not. The last time this happened I paid $20 for oatmeal in italy. As there was neither gold nor cocaine in the oatmeal, it was definitely not a good deal.

3. Normally I like to buy a crappy thriller to read on the plane. Normally I read it all the way through. They are never very good, but at least it kills the time and is vaguely interesting. This is the first time that I ever had to throw it away. Thanks, author of "The Sanctuary" (I can't even remember his name now). You totally suck.

4. At least five people on our flight were sex tourists. I am positive.

Right now we are sitting in an internet cafe surrounded by high schoolers all playing some linked in dungeons and dragons game. Don't they have school or something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now imagine that 14-hour flight to Tokyo while seated in the middle of a plane-full of Japanese chain smokers... Oh, wait, maybe you wouldn't mind that... At least it's good to hear that the prices haven't changed from the 90's -- I used to pay $100 for a pear...