Monday, October 27, 2008

Heading home, Pt. 1: Note from Tokyo

Not too long of an update as we are using Japanese keyboards and the keys are different enough that every time I think I am hitting the space bar with my right thumb, I am actually hitting the 'Switch to Japanese' key, so I get cらpぃ毛ティsウェンI目案と差y染めティンg故mpぇ手lyぢっふぇ連t。 (Translation-- crap like this when I mean something completely different) And the punctuation keys are different. And just typing that, I hit the SWITCH key 3 times. だっみt!

So we've left Vietnam and are pretty sad about it. I have lots of thoughts on the last days. I'll share them later. (Aside: Who moved the quotation marks? I could kill this コオmプテr。)(And no, I did not do that change on purpose.)

Another aside: An older guy just came in and is freaking out about the keyboard. He has the wireless attendant by his side. 'Every time I hit the space bar, it goes bad,' he said, not noticing how what he thinks is the space bar is really the evil 'Switch to Japanese' key. He will not last long, friends. This is not a task for the old and weary. John McCain gets confused by the computer as it is now. This would be the final blow.

Anyway, we made it safely from Saigon to Tokyo and get on our next plane in about two hours. We hit JFK around noon, clear customs/get arrested for smuggling, then either take a car to my parents' house/get an attorney, get the car/see if we can post bond, and then head home/stay in jail once bail is denied.

Oh no. More oldsters just came in and are freaking out about the keyboard. I have to watch them now in case someone has a stroke/heart attack. This could add a whole new level of drama to this trip.

Later. 不c金g果てティsこmぷてr!

No comments: