Saturday, April 21, 2007

Crazy, but not that Crazy

Defendant was in court the other, not my client but was there for an evaluation to see if he was competent enough to stand trial. After hearing from the doctors who evaluated him, the judge made a clear finding that client was unable to understand what was happening to him, that he was unable to assist his attorney and that he had a best a tenuous grip on reality. Given that, the judge ordered client held until they could place him in a mental institution.

Client erupted, screaming that he was being railroaded, that this was unfair and he didn't know why this happening?

Judge: "If you can't control yourself I am going to find you in contempt and give you six months in jail."

Client: "Well didn't you just have a hearing where you said I didn't know what I was doing."

Judge: "Sir we determined you were incompetent."

Client: "So I can't go to trial because I'm crazy, but I am not crazy enough to avoid getting in more trouble."

Well, yeah, I guess.

No comments: